Arthritis At Home Episode 94 – Dr. Terri-Lynn Fox discusses her research work on the experiences of Indian Residential Schools Survivors from the Blackfoot Confederacy
September 30, 2021 was National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, a day that honoured the lost Indigenous Children, Survivors, their families and communities of Indian Residential Schools (IRS). In this second of a two-part series of Arthritis At Home, Dr. Terri-Lynn Fox discusses her research work on the experiences of Survivors from the Blackfoot Confederacy from six Indian Residential Schools.
Dr. Fox is from the Blood Tribe, within the Blackfoot Confederacy, and practices her Siksikaitsitapi ways. Dr. Fox has a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology; a Master’s degree in Sociology; and a Doctoral degree in Education. Her dissertation focus was Indian Residential Schools and the specific Perspectives of Blackfoot Confederacy People on the experiences of Survivors from the Blackfoot Confederacy from six residential schools, and the majority of her research is on and about Indian Residential Schools. Dr. Fox is both directly and indirectly affected by Indian Residential Schools. She is the daughter of two Survivors of an Indian Residential School and is a survivor of Indian Day Schools, herself. She is blessed with four children and six grandchildren.
Click on the resources below to learn more:
- Indian Residential Schools: Perspectives of Blackfoot Confederacy People – https://prism.ucalgary.ca/handle/1880/113142
- “The Unforgotten” – a short film on the health across 5 stages of life of Indigenous Peoples, Indigenous approaches to health and racism in the health care system – https://theunforgotten.cma.ca/film/
- Arthritis At Home Episode 93: Learning about National Day for Truth and Reconciliation with Dr. Terri-Lynn Fox – https://arthritisathome.jointhealth.org/?p=2797
- Podcast: Métis scholar and writer Mike Gouldhawke visits with Sara Mai to unpack his take on “colonial problem rebranded asIndigenous issues.” – https://mbwaachidiwag.libsyn.com/colonial-problems-rebranded-as-indigenous-issues
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to Action – https://ehprnh2mwo3.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Calls_to_Action_English2.pdf
- The Gord Downie and Chenie Wenjack Fund: Reading resources for Truth and Reconciliation – https://downiewenjack.ca/recommended-resources/
- On Canada Project: Settlers Take Action – https://oncanadaproject.ca/settlerstakeaction
- National Residential School Crisis Line: 1-866-925-4419